Conversations With A Killer

Politics, Religion, History. Keep it bright.

Moderator: Vincent

Conversations With A Killer

Postby Reg » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:33 pm

Reg
Regular

Politics: Liberal
Economics: Balanced Books
Religion: Agnostic
Marital: Single
Racism: Simplistic
Death Penalty: Doesn't work
Gun Control: Works
Gay Marriage: Let them
Food: No starch
Smoke Tobacco: Vile
Smoke Pot: Vile
Legalize Pot: Yes
Legalize Other Drugs: Let's try it
Nuclear Power: Yes
Ban Seal Hunting: No
Ban Whale Hunting: Yes
Ban Transfats: Yes
Home Schooling: Works
Assange/Manning/Snowden: Heroes
Abortion: Sad
Euthanasia: A human right
Free Speech: is usually inane
Aliens: Never met one
End of the World: Never

Postby MyBigMoon » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:53 pm

nice get reg. I look forward to more.
"I'm so drunk, I just took a dump in the sink and wiped my ass with a tomato . . ." ~ mybigmoon

"I buy all of my tomatoes from MyBigMoon.
There's something about the flavor that I really like." - Dammitboy
MyBigMoon
Regular

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:55 pm

Why are they not terminated faster?
Matt
Regular

Postby Grim » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:48 am

Where is the violin? Cry me a river.... He is complaining about life on death row. I have news for him, prison was not designed to be a fun place to hang out. It is supposed to be a tough place to live. Serve him right for committing rape and murder. I have no sympathy for him.
Grim
Regular

Postby onlyplayin » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:24 am

Maybe in one of these letters you could ask him if he has any relation to the Medellin cartel of Colombia.
onlyplayin
Regular

Postby the lorax » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:30 am

very interesting, reg..

i hope you continue your discussions with him and post them here at bbad.
the lorax
Regular

Postby Barbara » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:10 am

It really is an interesting read. Reg, you never cease to amaze me ;)

I am against the death penality. I have mixed emotions about sympathy for this person. I look on this with curiosity (although not forgetting the heinous acts he committed). He is indeed human and expresses himself well, takes away the monster image somehow.
every moment counts.
Barbara
Regular

Postby diamondgypsy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:28 am

Thank you fo sharing, Reg. That is something that you took the time to communicate with this man.

I do not believe in the death penalty - no matter what the crime. To me, rotting in prison is the best way to go - preferably in solitary confinement and no visitors. Just their thoughts...and four blank walls.
"One swallow does not make a summer." - Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Nichomachean Ethics
diamondgypsy
Regular

Postby Laddo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:30 am

Just out of curiosity, why'd you choose this guy out of the tons of other death-rowers?
All I know is that every time I even mention quantum computing my cat gets nervous and absolutely refuses to get in the box.
Laddo
Regular

Postby Reg » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:25 pm

Laddo wrote: Just out of curiosity, why'd you choose this guy out of the tons of other death-rowers?
He stuck an ad on the net for people to write him. I wrote him.
Reg
Regular

Politics: Liberal
Economics: Balanced Books
Religion: Agnostic
Marital: Single
Racism: Simplistic
Death Penalty: Doesn't work
Gun Control: Works
Gay Marriage: Let them
Food: No starch
Smoke Tobacco: Vile
Smoke Pot: Vile
Legalize Other Drugs: Let's try it
Ban Whale Hunting: Yes
Home Schooling: Works
Assange/Manning/Snowden: Heroes
Abortion: Sad
Euthanasia: A human right
Free Speech: is usually inane
Aliens: Never met one
End of the World: Never

Postby the lorax » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:28 pm

There is a scheme to life, to all of its various happenings
and events to everything we do within the time alloted
to us. We can understand that scheme if we let ourselves,
if we do not become frightened of the knowing
knowledge is not enough if there is not also acceptance
of that knowledge then comes wisdom, regardless of age
anyone can share their knowledge and their wisdom with you,
but once again only you can learn how to accept it.
That must come from within us.

here is jose's open invitation to speak to others. the brilliant dostoyevsky learned all he knew about people from being with hardened crimals for 10 years of his life in a siberian prison..

there are things to learn from all people if we are just open..jose echoes those words in this letter.

http://www.ccadp.org/josemedellin.htm
the lorax
Regular

Postby Laddo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:33 pm

SolitaryOutcast wrote:
Laddo wrote: Just out of curiosity, why'd you choose this guy out of the tons of other death-rowers?
He stuck an ad on the net for people to write him. I wrote him.

Skimming on details. Shows what I get for reading at work.
All I know is that every time I even mention quantum computing my cat gets nervous and absolutely refuses to get in the box.
Laddo
Regular

Postby oberkommando » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:20 pm

diamondgypsy wrote: Thank you fo sharing, Reg. That is something that you took the time to communicate with this man.

I do not believe in the death penalty - no matter what the crime. To me, rotting in prison is the best way to go - preferably in solitary confinement and no visitors. Just their thoughts...and four blank walls.

I believe in the death sentence...IMMEDIATE, SUDDEN AND INSTANTENOUS DEATH!!! :evil:
oberkommando
Regular

Postby MyBigMoon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:57 pm

Here's some background on this guy:[quote]Facts of the Case

On the evening of June 24, 1993, Jennifer Ertman, 14, and Elizabeth Pena, 16, left a social gathering at a friend’s apartment in Houston. They were taking a shortcut home through the woods, when they encountered Jose Medellin and other members of the so-called “Black and Whiteâ€
"I'm so drunk, I just took a dump in the sink and wiped my ass with a tomato . . ." ~ mybigmoon

MyBigMoon
Regular

Postby MyBigMoon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm

Here is a transcript of oral argument before the Supreme Court on behalf of Jose Medellin in the Supreme Court October 10, 2007.
http://www.supremecourtus.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/06-984.pdf

MyBigMoon
Regular

Postby WonderWoman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:08 pm

This is fascinating, reg. I wonder how he gets through the day. he says he has hope but, still, the lack of stimulation I would imagine could drive a man crazy. It must be a tiny bit what i imagine it's like to be quadraplegic and without a loving familty to care for you. Except he at least earned it as far as the media and criminal record tell it. I'm not sure if i'm for against the death penalty myself. This seems as cruel and unusual as death to me, if not more. The only reason I would be against it would be my lack of faith in the system. But either way it's life over for this guy. It's hard to read his letter not being aware of the crime when i read it. I would want to kill someone who raped me though.
WonderWoman
Regular

Postby MyBigMoon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:30 pm

International Court of Justice
The United States withdrew from compulsory jurisdiction in 1986, and so accepts the court's jurisdiction only on a case-to-case basis.
Now comes the test case (Medellin v. Texas).
With cross-currents of constitutional and international law flowing freely, what appeared to be a majority of the Justices looked askance at a Presidential memo in February 2005, directing nine U.S. states to give 51 Mexican nationals convicted of crimes in those states a new chance to test their rights under an international treaty, the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations. What was troubling those Justices the most, it seemed, was that the President had sought to make binding a ruling by the World Court that would otherwise not have controlling effect on states’ ciminal procedures. That was worrisome for two reasons: it might intrude on the Court’s role to say what the legal meaning and effect of treaties is, and it might empower the World Court, in effect, to dictate the substance of American law.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/uncategorized/analysis-how-to-say-no-to-the-president/
This oughta get the One World Order guys going.

MyBigMoon
Regular

Postby Sadek » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:09 am

diamondgypsy wrote: To me, rotting in prison is the best way to go - preferably in solitary confinement and no visitors. Just their thoughts...and four blank walls.

Death sounds less torture!!!
Sadek
Regular

Postby Gunda » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:21 am

I agree with Sadek. Death would be a more human punishment.

Nevertheless, I am against the death penalty, but those life-sentence convicted should get the choice. And if they prefer to make their life an end instead of spending 60 years or more like that - give them a deadly pill where they can commit a fast suicide.

No matter how terrible his current personal situation is and how he may have changed himself and maybe repent what he did - he did terrible things to that girl (or even girls, I don´t remember his crime exactly anymore) and even annihilated life. Furthermore, he destroyed a whole family. That family also got a life-sentence. No. I admit I got a terrible feeling when reading his letter and felt bad. But when I imagined again his horrible deed and the parents of that girl and maybe others of her family - no. He justly forfeit his right to live with that in my opinion. Everyone should get a second or even a third chance. But not in case of raping or killing out of utterly malicious reasons. Every potential victim is more precious to me than such a perpetrator. For this, the recidivism rate of rapists is too high. That of killers I admittedly don´t know.

It would be interesting to see what the parents of that girl (or girls) would write in their letter, though.
Servus,
Gunda

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." (Helen Keller)

Gunda
Regular

Politics: Social Democrat
Economics: No bottom-up distrib
Religion: None
Racism: Stupid as misogyny
Feminism: Women are people too
Death Penalty: No
Gun Control: Yes
Gay Marriage: Yes
Food: Organic Farming
Smoke Tobacco: No
Smoke Pot: No
Legalize Pot: It depends
Legalize Other Drugs: It depends
Legalize Prostitution: No
Nuclear Power: No
Ban Seal Hunting: Legal for natives
Ban Whale Hunting: Legal for natives
Home Schooling: It depends
Assange/Manning/Snowden: Brave
Abortion: It depends
Euthanasia: Yes
Free Speech: No personal insults

Postby diamondgypsy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:54 pm

the13th wrote:
diamondgypsy wrote: To me, rotting in prison is the best way to go - preferably in solitary confinement and no visitors. Just their thoughts...and four blank walls.

I would want 'the ultimate torture' for those who belong on death row but - are sentenced to life in prison.
"One swallow does not make a summer." - Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Nichomachean Ethics
diamondgypsy
Regular

Postby MyBigMoon » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:11 pm

The president wants to enforce a decision by the International Court of Justice that found the convictions of Medellin and 50 other Mexican-born prisoners violated their rights to legal help as outlined in the 1963 Vienna Convention.

Texas argues strenuously that neither the international court nor Bush, his Texas ties notwithstanding, has any say in Medellin’s case.

[quote]From Justice Antonin Scalia:

…said he [Justice Scalia] saw a constitutional problem with “giving an international body the authority to determine U.S. federal law. I am rather jealous of that authority. I don’t know on what basis we allow an international court to decide the content of American law.â€

MyBigMoon
Regular

Postby Grim » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:13 pm

diamondgypsy wrote:
the13th wrote:

I would want 'the ultimate torture' for those who belong on death row but - are sentenced to life in prison.

If there is ever a candidate for the death sentence it is you.
Grim
Regular

Postby DammitBoy! » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:50 pm

MyBigMoon wrote:
The president wants to enforce a decision by the International Court of Justice that found the convictions of Medellin and 50 other Mexican-born prisoners violated their rights to legal help as outlined in the 1963 Vienna Convention.

Texas argues strenuously that neither the international court nor Bush, his Texas ties notwithstanding, has any say in Medellin’s case.

[quote]From Justice Antonin Scalia:

…said he [Justice Scalia] saw a constitutional problem with “giving an international body the authority to determine U.S. federal law. I am rather jealous of that authority. I don’t know on what basis we allow an international court to decide the content of American law.â€
"Reg wrote: my world is better than your world."

Reggie, nobody cares about your boat, your little company, your car, or your tidy little hamster cage apartment. You're still just third world trash trying to be white.
DammitBoy!
Regular

Politics: Libertarian-light
Religion: Non-denominational
Marital: Divorced
Racism: Stupid
Death Penalty: Yes
Gun Control: No
Food: Healthy
Smoke Tobacco: Rarely
Smoke Pot: Occasionally
Legalize Other Drugs: Yes
Home Schooling: Fine
Assange/Manning/Snowden: Whistle blowers
Abortion: Pro-choice
Aliens: No

Postby MyBigMoon » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:49 pm

this time.

MyBigMoon
Regular

Postby DammitBoy! » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:58 pm

MyBigMoon wrote: this time.

Care to expand on that comment?
"Reg wrote: my world is better than your world."

Reggie, nobody cares about your boat, your little company, your car, or your tidy little hamster cage apartment. You're still just third world trash trying to be white.
DammitBoy!
Regular

Politics: Libertarian-light
Religion: Non-denominational
Marital: Divorced
Racism: Stupid
Death Penalty: Yes
Gun Control: No
Food: Healthy
Smoke Tobacco: Rarely
Smoke Pot: Occasionally