Margaret Court

Hockey, Football, Rugby, F1, US Football, etc.

Moderator: Jonny 5

Margaret Court

Postby Reg » Wed May 31, 2017 7:59 am

I knew nothing of Margaret Court other than wanting Serena to beat her total number of titles. She's making news now, though.

Margaret Court has said "tennis is full of lesbians", following a row over her earlier remarks on gay marriage.

Australian Court, a 24-time Grand Slam singles champion and now a Christian pastor, also said that transgender children were the work of "the devil".

The 74-year-old caused controversy when she said she would not fly on Qantas "where possible" in protest at its support of same-sex marriage.

"When I was playing there was only a couple [of lesbians]," Court said.

"But those couple that led took young ones into parties and things. What you get at the top is often what you'll get right through that sport."

Speaking to Vision Christian Radio she added: "We're there to help them overcome. We're not against the people."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/40103968
Reg
Regular

Politics: Liberal
Economics: Balanced Books
Religion: Agnostic
Marital: Single
Racism: Simplistic
Death Penalty: Doesn't work
Gun Control: Works
Gay Marriage: Let them
Food: No starch
Drink alcohol: Wine on occasion
Smoke Tobacco: Vile
Smoke Pot: Vile
Legalize Pot: Yes
Legalize Other Drugs: Let's try it
Nuclear Power: Yes
Ban Seal Hunting: No
Ban Whale Hunting: Yes
Ban Transfats: Yes
Home Schooling: Works
Assange/Manning/Snowden: Heroes
Abortion: Sad
Euthanasia: A human right
Free Speech: is usually inane
Aliens: Never met one
End of the World: Never

Re: Margaret Court

Postby Nickscafe » Wed May 31, 2017 11:22 am

I will be surprised if Williams wins again. I don't go by major titles for the best of all time. I have Serena and Navratilova as the best of all time and Martina isn't even in the top 3 for grand slams. I don't care if Margaret Court has 124 grand slam titles. I'm going to guess that in each of their primes Serena would beat her 6-0, 6-0.

Saying that there are a bunch of lesbians in tennis isn't a bad thing. It's everythingi else she had stood for. Andy Murray was even vocal against her. I thought Murray was a robot, but apparently not.

"Even when I was playing there were only a couple there but those couple that led took young ones into parties. And what you get at the top is often what you'll get right through that sport."

Court's most inflammatory comments were about transgender issues.

She said: "You can think, 'Oh, I'm a boy', and it will affect your emotions and feelings and everything else. That's all the devil.

"That's what Hitler did and that's what communism did, got the minds of the children. There's a whole plot in our nation and in the nations of the world to get the minds of the children."

Court, who preaches at the Victory Life Centre, the church she founded in Perth, said she wanted to help homosexuals.

"We're there to help them (gay people) overcome," she said. "We're not against the people."

Australian tennis player Casey Dellacqua responded Wednesday to Margaret Court’s anti-gay comments directed at her family, saying Court — the Grand Slam title record-holder with 24 wins — is far out of line.

Dellacqua, who previously tweeted “enough is enough” in reference to Court’s continued remarks, has two children with partner Amanda Judd. Following the birth of the couple’s son in 2013, Court wrote a public letter arguing that a same-sex family left their child “deprived of his father.” Most recently, Court said on a Christian radio station that “tennis is full of lesbians.”

“I’m very conscious of the fact that everyone is allowed their opinion, but when you start singling out my family especially, that’s when it’s not OK. And my family do not deserve to be subject to that,” Dellacqua said at the French Open on Wednesday. “(Court) can have her opinion, but my family does not deserve that and did not deserve that. That’s when I thought, you know what, it’s time to speak up.”

Dellacqua said she felt compelled to speak out the more Court, who has been a critic of homosexuality for decades, lashed out at gay marriage in recent months. Court, 74, who is a pastor, also said in the radio interview that homosexuality was “a whole plot in our nation and in the nations of the world to get in the minds of the children.” In a letter published in The West Australian newspaper, Court wrote that she would stop flying on Qantas "where possible" because the Australian airline "has become an active promoter for same-sex marriage."

No. 1-ranked Andy Murray of Britain said of Court’s opposition to gay marriage on Tuesday, “I don’t see why anyone has a problem with two people who love each other getting married. If it’s two men, two women, that’s great. I don’t see why it should matter. It’s not anyone else’s business. Everyone should have, in my opinion, the same rights.”

As a result of Court’s remarks, several top tennis players have proposed stripping the Australian Open court’s name — Margaret Court Arena — from the stadium at Melbourne Park. That, or perhaps boycotting where the Australian Open is played next year.

Madison Keys, an American player, backed that idea and said that she disagrees "100 percent" with Court's comments.

"I kind of agree with maybe having the (Australian Open stadium's) name changed and all of that. If that comes up, I'm sure there's many people who would be for that," Keys said after her win Tuesday.

"It's like, 'Why can't we just be nice to each other?'"
"The bamboo that bends is stronger than the oak that resists. " -Japanese proverb
Nickscafe
Regular

Politics: lefty
Economics: I'm frugal.
Religion: none, thankfully
Marital: engaged
Racism: too bad
Feminism: unattractive
Death Penalty: no
Gun Control: yes
Gay Marriage: yes
Food: pescetarian
Smoke Tobacco: no
Smoke Pot: no
Legalize Pot: yes
Legalize Other Drugs: for buyers yes
Legalize Prostitution: yes
Nuclear Power: yes
Ban Seal Hunting: Couldn't care less
Ban Whale Hunting: I don't care at all!
Ban Transfats: oh yes
Home Schooling: not good
Assange/Manning/Snowden: a mixed bag
Abortion: awfully tough choice
Euthanasia: oh yes
Free Speech: Immortal Technique!!
Aliens: one celled at least
End of the World: disaster of the sun

Postby Nickscafe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:41 pm

"The bamboo that bends is stronger than the oak that resists. " -Japanese proverb
Nickscafe
Regular

Postby Reg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:48 pm

I used to watch tennis back in the 70s. I always found McEnroe annoying back then. Seems I find him just as irritating now. That wasn't even slightly funny. Good thing he didn't try to make his living as a comic.

Ridiculous to rename Margaret Court arena imho. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were slave owners. Thomas Jefferson felt all blacks in the US should be deported to Africa. Are we going to rename all the buildings/cities/states named after those two?

We are fast moving towards a world where the right to disagree is gone. If you don't conform to the accepted narrative, the machine will destroy you and will then revise history to wipe your very existence from the record. You never existed, or if you did, you only said nice things and never disagreed with anyone.

I say this as a guy who supports gay marriage and gay spousal benefits. I just respect the right of others to disagree with me on that.
Reg
Regular

Postby Nickscafe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:37 am

I agree. Court's punishment will be she cannot attend her own court anymore. Nothe because of a rule or law. Just that she will have to deal with thousands of screaming Aussies. Seems fitting. She made her bed.
Nickscafe
Regular

Postby vEnOm » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:52 am

"Looking like a turkey" does not necessarily mean one has the appearance of a turkey such as carbuncle skin a dewlap at the throat and a snood projection at the nose. It could mean that one is perceiving the world and surroundings as a turkey would, the opposite of personifying a turkey but regarding a people as turkeys noting in the yard female turkeys often seem to spend more time close to one another and appear to be affectionate.

A turkey should not be an obstetrician or perform a gynecological exam. A turkey can be presented a worm.

Wild Turkey does not have a worm in the bottle. That would be some tequilas or mezcal, not a bourbon whiskey.
Inebriation is not a good path to enlightenment...think of how hard it is to access higher intelligence. The higher and higher you get, the harder it is to reach. Not good. Difficult to acknowledge. Not disregarding the the mind or physical.
we're back! back for the attack! we are venom! yeah!
vEnOm
Regular

Aliens: yes.

Postby Nickscafe » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Some 20 year old girl just won the french open as her first tournament ever. She had 54 winners and 54 unforced errors and her opponent, ranked 3rd in the world, had 8 winners and 10 unforced errors. Talk about dictating play. She won 12 of the last 16 games. Apparently she hits her forehand harder than Andy Murray. Her serve wasn't very good though. Serena served like a guy. Kind of made her unstoppable. At least this girl went for it. French Open has changed. Aggression wins it now, it seems.
Nickscafe
Regular

Postby Reg » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:57 pm

I love this. She's Latvian. The Lithuanians will all hate her. lol.

PS: I had to turn the sound off. This whole "let's scream every stroke" thing is irritating.
Reg
Regular

Postby Nickscafe » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Gedvydas Vainauskas, the president of Lithuanian professional basketball team BC Lietuvos Rytas, had this to say about black players on his basketball team.

“We’ve always held a stance that there shouldn’t be more than two black players on the team. What happened was that coach Tomas Pacesas likes to play with black players—to control them, to teach them, to tutor them—and we ended up with four players that are black. All of a sudden, they came together to form...how should I put it...a sort of a gang. It cannot be that way; no more than two black players—I can say that from my 23 years of experience in the business. Teams, don’t ever have more than two black players ... (smiles) Because that’s when bad things start to take place."

I guess he's never seen team USA. I'm not sure they had a white player in Brasil. I thought they were all black.
Nickscafe
Regular

Postby Reg » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Let them have only two...and keep losing to the USA by 40 points. lol.
Reg
Regular