Cartagena

Health, Home, Life

Moderator: Ray

Cartagena

Postby Reg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:03 am

I'm in Cartagena, Colombia for Easter. No real reason. I just felt like it and the girlfriend was willing so we're here.

Cartagena, Colombia by Reg Natarajan, on Flickr

Costeños showing us how to dance in the old walled city of Cartagena.
Reg
Regular

Politics: Liberal
Economics: Balanced Books
Religion: Agnostic
Marital: Single
Racism: Simplistic
Death Penalty: Doesn't work
Gun Control: Works
Gay Marriage: Let them
Food: No starch
Drink alcohol: Wine on occasion
Smoke Tobacco: Vile
Smoke Pot: Vile
Legalize Pot: Yes
Legalize Other Drugs: Let's try it
Nuclear Power: Yes
Ban Seal Hunting: No
Ban Whale Hunting: Yes
Ban Transfats: Yes
Home Schooling: Works
Assange/Manning/Snowden: Heroes
Abortion: Sad
Euthanasia: A human right
Free Speech: is usually inane
Aliens: Never met one
End of the World: Never

Re: Cartagena

Postby SiegImMorgenrot » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:44 am

Sounds and looks like a German "asylum" shelter. Too negroid for my taste...but I guess this "culture" is liked by the left.
SiegImMorgenrot
Regular

Location: Elohim's Holy Re-united Messianic Israelite Millenial Kingdom of Ephraim and Judah (very soon...)
Politics: separatism/secession
Economics: no debts=sound money
Religion: British Israelism
Marital: ready for new locura
Racism: faith 1st, race 2nd
Feminism: satanic
Death Penalty: yes
Gun Control: proof of slavery
Gay Marriage: 3 mose 20:13
Food: no pork & crabs
Smoke Tobacco: rarely
Smoke Pot: rarely
Legalize Pot: yes
Legalize Prostitution: punish em
Home Schooling: proof of freedom
Abortion: punish em
Free Speech: An American dream
End of the World: great tribulation

Postby Reg » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:59 pm

It is very negro, indeed. About 90%. It is also one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen on Earth. I'll post some photos when I'm back.
Reg
Regular

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:00 am

I'm back. Cartagena is stunning but too hot. Mosquera is not at all stunning and it's a bit too cold, but I have heaters. Choices.
Reg
Regular

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 am

Here are my photos. Cartagena may be the most romantic place in the world.

Main Flickr Page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/regnatarajan/

The Cartagena Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/regnatara ... 9371674843

Edited to add: A friend of mine just emailed me about my trip and I responded with some info that others might find useful. I'll quote my response here. Note that Canadians spell centre the French way. No error.

The old city is kept about as well as any old city in Europe and it's every bit as charming as in the photos. Keep in mind, charming doesn't mean antiseptic. Horse drawn carriages mean occasional horseshit on the roads so watch where you walk. Also, with that many people milling about, a bit of litter is inevitable, although I'd say there's about the same as there is in Vancouver overall (which is very little).

For skyscraper beauty, there are several absolutely pristine areas. Bocagrande, Castillogrande and Manga are all first world places similar to Coal Harbour or Dubai with smaller buildings. Move in a few blocks from the coastline and you're in an older but still nice area with no skyscrapers but cool shopping and restaurants.

The boating is very nice. The coast isn't a single line like in many places. It weaves in and out all around the city. There's a big pier in the centre of the city where several modern boats sit and will take you around the city by water (about 2 hours) for $75 CAD. I didn't do it this trip but hope to in the future. Average temp this time of year is 27C but when I was there it was 33C which was just a bit much to be out in the sun on the water.

The rest of Cartagena (perhaps 80% of the city) is far less nice but not disgusting. It's far nicer than Bogota in every way, but still nothing to get excited about. Gringos are best suited to the areas above.

Three negatives: it's bloody hot, it's expensive by Colombian standards (although still much cheaper than Van), and in the tourist areas you can't go 2 minutes without someone offering to sell you something.

Edited again to add: Cartagena should serve as a lesson to racists everywhere. It's 90% black and is easily one of the safest and most beautifully pristine cities I've seen.
Reg
Regular

Postby Nickscafe » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Looks wonderful. I like diversity. I wonder if I'd like it there. I don't mind being in a group where I'm less than 50% of the population, ,but I wonder if I'd like living in one where I'm 5%. Not because I'm a racist. Just wondering if they'd accept me. I work with over a 100 people throughout the day. There are I think 2 African Americans in the lab. I get along well with both. I don't find the lab to be racist, but I wonder how they feel making up 2% of the lab. They are probably used to it. I wouldn't be. Not at this point.

As long as Cartagena accepted me, I'd probably be fine, but I bet I'd be guarded to start and would hope that wouldn't come off as offensive to them. I always got along well with Cambodians in college and my city is still full of them. I've been to Cambodian weddings. They were fun, but again, it was for a short time and they could ignore me after the wedding. Cambodians are still the minority here.

Do you speak spanish Reg?
"The bamboo that bends is stronger than the oak that resists. " -Japanese proverb
Nickscafe
Regular

Politics: lefty
Economics: I'm frugal.
Religion: none, thankfully
Marital: engaged
Racism: too bad
Feminism: unattractive
Death Penalty: no
Gun Control: yes
Gay Marriage: yes
Food: pescetarian
Smoke Tobacco: no
Smoke Pot: no
Legalize Pot: yes
Legalize Other Drugs: for buyers yes
Legalize Prostitution: yes
Nuclear Power: yes
Ban Seal Hunting: Couldn't care less
Ban Whale Hunting: I don't care at all!
Ban Transfats: oh yes
Home Schooling: not good
Assange/Manning/Snowden: a mixed bag
Abortion: awfully tough choice
Euthanasia: oh yes
Free Speech: Immortal Technique!!
Aliens: one celled at least
End of the World: disaster of the sun

Postby vEnOm » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Do they have roadrunners there? ¿Que Lengua Habla? ¿telefono?
we're back! back for the attack! we are venom! yeah!
vEnOm
Regular

Aliens: yes.

Postby Reg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Dan, I really believe you'd have no problem at all anywhere in Colombia. They like whites here because there aren't that many of them. It's when whites become a large minority and start changing things that the natives start resenting them like in Cuenca, Ecuador, where they love the gringo money but hate the gringos. Also, Colombia has such huge racial diversity that there really is minimal racism here. It really would be impossible to function.

I'm in a racial demographic well under 5%. Hell, well under 1%. I've never seen anyone looking remotely like me here. lol. I have been treated with nothing but respect and kindness since I came here.

Spanish is absolutely required, however. There is no English, aside from the tourist areas.

Speaking of those tourist areas, if you ever visited Cartagena, you would probably get bored of being offered things for sale by street vendors. I haven't met you in person so I don't know what your personality is like IRL and I'm not sure whether you're good at telling people firmly "no, go away" after a couple of polite "no, gracias" fail to get the vendor to move on. I once said "paz, por favor" (peace, please) and the young lady offering me a beach massage looked very offended but she moved on which was a trade-off I'll take anytime.

My Spanish is coming along. I'm nowhere near fluent but I would now call myself functional in Spanish. A few minutes ago, I called up the local grocery store and told them to deliver me some Coke Zero, milk and coffee. I gave them my address and then called the guard station to tell them to let the delivery guy in. No issues. Although I don't pretend I understood every word they said, I got the job done.

Cartagena might well be the most beautiful place I've ever been. Can you tell I'm in love with it? It's not lush and green but no hot beach town is. It is totally unique. It is a pristine combination of an old world city with horse drawn carriages, a stunning modern beachfront skyscraper city, a thriving boating community and a historic military fortress. It's also far more black (racially) than most of South America. I've never seen anything like it. If it was 5 degrees cooler, I'd move there in a second. My gf has made clear she's game to move there once her current contract is up.
Reg
Regular